Time is running out to help your community! Respond to the 2020 Census by September 30th! Less than 10 minutes helps Bourbonnais over the next 10 years! Click here to complete.

Building Department

Do I need a permit?

Yes, most construction activities require a permit. For your own protection and best interest, it is always best to check with the Building Department before beginning any construction, alterations or repair work. Failure to obtain a building permit could result in a fine or an order to stop work. For questions or concerns, please contact our Building Department at 815-937-3575 Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. After hours, you may leave a message and a representative will get back with you during normal business hours.

What do I need to apply for a permit?

  • A completed building permit application, click the button below:
    Building Permit Application
  • A copy of your plat of survey showing existing and proposed structures for outside construction
  • Pertinent drawings or blueprints
  • Contractor name, address and phone number
  • Homeowner’s Association information (where applicable)

Do I need to call for inspections?

Yes, inspections are required for all work. It is best to contact the Building Department at 815-937-3575 ahead of time to schedule an inspection. Building Department hours are 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Are there permissible start and stop times for construction in the Village of Bourbonnais?

Yes, for your convenience and area residents, the following times apply:

  • Building Times: Start @ 6:00 a.m., Stop @ 10:00 p.m.
  • Roofing Times: Start @ 5:00 a.m., Stop @ 9:00 p.m.

All work will be limited to daylight hours if accompanied by loud noises.

What are the requirements for fence and deck construction?

  • Post Holes: Post holes must be a minimum of 42” deep and must be inspected before being filled. This is based on the frost level in our location.
  • Framing: Once the framing is complete and before deck boards are installed, we require a rough-in framing inspection for decks.

What are the fencing/safety requirements for pools?

  • Fencing: Every swimming pool shall be protected by a fence enclosure as required for residential use, with a height of not less than 48”, nor more than 6’, and shall be equipped with a self-closing gate that opens outward and a latch that meets code requirements.
  • Safety Covers: Pool safety covers are no longer allowed as a safety barrier for pools.

What size shed is allowed and where can it be located on my property?

  • Maximum size of an accessory structure shall not exceed 12’ x 14’ or 168 square feet.
  • Sheds shall be a minimum of 10’ from other buildings, a minimum of 3’ from an interior side lot line and a minimum of 5’ from the rear property line.
  • At no time shall these buildings be placed in any type of easement. Said buildings must be at least 1’ away from any easement.

Can I replace my concrete driveway with asphalt?

If you have a gravel or concrete driveway, you must replace it with concrete. If you have an asphalt driveway, you may replace it with asphalt.

Can I enlarge my driveway?

Yes, you may extend your driveway; however, there must be 3’ of grass from the edge of the driveway to the lot line. The extension must be concrete or brick pavers – not gravel or asphalt.

Where can I find a current list of Village ordinances?

All Village of Bourbonnais ordinances can be found by clicking the button below.

Municipal Code