Public Works Department
255 Mooney Drive, Bourbonnais, Illinois [map]
Phone: 815.937.0817 | Fax: 815.937.3574
Hours: Mon-Fri, 7 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Director of Public Works: Mike Chamness
Under the guidance of Director Mike Chamness, the fourteen members of the Bourbonnais Public Works Department are responsible for maintenance of all Village Streets, parks, municipal buildings and grounds.
Streets and Roads Program
The Public Works Department is responsible for maintaining the more than 83 miles of roadways within the Village. This includes, but is not limited to: repairing potholes, resurfacing of streets and repairing curbs.
Snow Plowing/Street Cleaning
In addition to street maintenance, the Bourbonnais Public Works Department is also responsible for the removal of snow from the streets throughout the Village. During the winter months, members of the Department are available on a 24-hour basis to ensure the timely removal of snow and/or placement of salt, as conditions warrant.
To ensure maximum benefit to all residents, main streets and arteries, such as Route 45/52, Route 102, and Armour Road/Latham Drive, are the first priority for snow removal and salting, followed by collector streets, residential streets and cul de sacs. The Bourbonnais Public Works Department, along with the Bourbonnais Police Department have available Doppler radar terminals to allow for tracking of winter storms.
Residents can assist in the snow removal program by following the following guidelines:
- According to Village ordinances, no motor vehicle may be parked or allowed to remain parked on a Village Street after a snowfall of three or more inches. Once the streets have been cleared "curb-to-curb", the residents may return their vehicles to the street for parking. Any vehicle in violation of this ordinance shall be considered a traffic hazard, and will be removed by an authorized towing company. The owner of the vehicle will be responsible for payment of the towing fee and a fine will also be imposed.
- The Village does not service private properties. Names of snow removal contractors are contained in the local phone book directories or online.
- All residents and property owners are reminded that it is against Village ordinances to dump snow onto public streets.
All signs for Village Streets, and many of the public signs throughout the Village are made in the Bourbonnais sign shop, and installed by members of the Public Works Department.
Christmas Tree Pick Up
The Bourbonnais Public Works Department also assists homeowners in the collection of post-holiday Christmas trees. Artificial trees are not accepted. Since everyone takes down their trees at different times, residents are asked to take the tree to the nearest park. Before taking the tree to the park, residents are asked to remove all lights, wires, ornaments, tinsel and other decorations. The Department converts the trees into mulch, which is then used at the Village parks.
Brush pick-up in the Village of Bourbonnais will begin April 2017 starting with Area One. Click on brush pick-up below link for more information.
Bourbonnais Leaf Disposal
The Bourbonnais Public Works Department & Bourbonnais Code Enforcement Office would like to remind all Bourbonnais Residents of the Ordinance regarding Depositing Leaves into the Roadway, (Ordinance, Sec. 29-12) which reads as follows:
Sec. 29-12. Deposits on streets.
(a) It shall be unlawful to deposit on any street any material which may be harmful to the pavement thereof, or any waste material, leaves, grass, or rubbish, or any glass, or articles which may cause injury to any person, animal or property.
(Code 1973, § 23-12)
Allied Waste will pick up your leaves in the following containers only:
· Brown Paper Bags which you can purchase at your local hardware stores. (When using brown paper bags, no yard waste sticker is required).
· Yard Waste Containers, no larger than 35 gallons. You may rent them from Allied Waste by calling them at (815) 472-3332 or use your own 35 gallon containers; however, you must place a Yard Waste Sticker on your container. Yard Waste stickers can be picked up for FREE at the Village of Bourbonnais Offices, Bourbonnais Public Works Department or by calling Allied Waste.
This ordinance will be enforced.