Assistant Public Works Director
Village of Bourbonnais - Bourbonnais, IL
The Village of Bourbonnais, Illinois is seeking a qualified individual to fill the position of Assistant Director of Public Works. This position assists the Director of Public Works in the day-to-day operations and responsibilities of the department, including the planning, design, and modifications to the Village utility infrastructure; reviews and recommends Village project alternatives; oversees construction and maintenance of public infrastructure improvements including roadways, sanitary, storm water, and other Village assets; interacts with community residents and businesses; assists in the development of capital and operational budgets. Experience with and knowledge of sanitary sewer systems is preferred.
Examples of Duties
- Communicates with the Director, employees, other departments, contractors, consultants, vendors, suppliers, the public, and outside agencies, and other individuals as needed to coordinate activities, review status of work, exchange information, resolve problems, and give/receive advice and direction.
- Coordinates daily work activities; organizes, prioritizes, and assigns work; monitors status of work in progress and inspects completed work; consults with assigned staff, assists with complex/problem situations, and provides technical expertise.
- Assists in ensuring departmental compliance with all applicable codes, laws, rules, regulations, standards, policies and procedures.
- Consults with Director and other Village Administrative staff to review operations/activities, reviews/resolves problems, and provides recommendations; attends Village Council meetings as required.
- Coordinates activities involving capital improvement projects; preliminary planning, design, permitting and construction; reviews consultant plans for capital improvement projects; makes recommendations concerning financial impact of capital projects; assists with the oversight of the capital improvement budget; assists with the administration of construction contracts for capital improvement projects; reviews technical specifications for capital improvement projects; assists with the bid phase of construction projects; reviews contract submittals;
- Provides assistance and information related to Public Works Department projects and activities, contracts, or other issues; responds to routine questions or complaints, researches problems, and initiates problem resolution.
- Prepares or completes various forms, reports, correspondence, technical memos/reports, charts, graphs, spreadsheets, budget requests, permit applications, field reports, contract documents, engineering drawings, technical specifications, performance reviews, or other documents.
- Receives various forms, reports, correspondence, invoices, budget reports, contract documents, contracts, laboratory reports, technical reports, operational reports, permits, engineering drawings, construction plans, specifications, maps, operational guides, manuals, directories, catalogs, reference materials, or other documentation; reviews, completes, processes, forwards or retains as appropriate.
- Ensures that Public Works staff are prioritizing, coordinating, and scheduling the department's projects and tasks to maximize employee productivity and efficiency.
- Prepares reports and makes presentations to supervisors, boards, commissions, civic groups, and the general public.
- Performs related duties as directed when such duties are a logical and appropriate assignment to the position
The preferred candidate would have a Bachelor's degree in a related field supplemented by five (5) years progressively responsible experience and/or training that includes capital project management, contract administration, budget administration, and managerial/supervision of team members; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job. Demonstrated computer literacy with standard software packages (e.g., word processors, basic spreadsheet applications, email, and Internet usage) required. Must possess and maintain a valid Illinois driver's license; CDL preferred.
The Village of Bourbonnais offers a competitive benefits package and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The salary range of this position is negotiable depending on qualifications.
Resumes will be accepted at Village of Bourbonnais, 600 Main Street NW, Bourbonnais IL 60914. Completed applications must be received by 5:00 P.M. on June 30, 2017, or until filled.